Google

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bury me with Books

In light of the revived excitement I had for books a couple of weeks ago, I've decided to make a list of the novels I have read since third year highschool. I was a little disappointed with the numbers but in the end convinced myself that the books I've read were all good.

1. The Alchemist- where it all started. I think it was Kay who introduced the book to me. Thanks!

2. The Valkyries- nope, not in order anymore. This book is just okay. About angels..a little over mysterious.

3. The Devil and Ms.Prymm- a book about temptation, released I think last year...By this time, I was already so used to Paulo's style of writing that I didn't appreciate it much.

4. Veronika Decides to Die- loved this book!! gives you a new perspective in life, makes you appreciate its beauty.

5. By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept- argh. love story..hated it. mushy and all..but still very Paulo-ish.

6. The Zahir- indecent obsession. haha! it's freaky, but nice..

7. Like the Flowing River- a compilation of short stories and essays..amazing thoughts wonderfully written.

8. Eleven Minutes- yah, a book about sex..it's nice how Paulo Coelho took a new angle at sex and went on with his usual stuff "the universe etc." ahaha!
----all of the above are Paulo Coelho's books.

9. Tuesdays with Morrie- very very good read. Life lessons. What I shall never forget however, is the Tension of Opposites. "Which side wins?" "Love wins. Love always wins."

10. The Five People you Meet in Heaven- my favorite was the Captain who taught about sacrifice. He said: "When you sacrifice something you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else."

11. For One More Day- it's like a tribute for moms. Well written as always. Mitch Albom's very simple style in writing is very much engaging.

12. The Da Vinci Code- hmm...the sensational. Don't watch the movie if you appreciate the book.

13. Angels and Demons- better than the The Da Vinci. Church vs Science. Very interesting.

14. Deception Point- another good read from Dan Brown. The twist however is almost similar to earlier books.

15. Digital Fortress- Confirmed. Same twists, same style..very predictable. Amusing though. He never fails to make you want to turn that page to just one more..always one more.

16. It's Not About Me- Max Lucado writes as if he's just having coffee with you. Here he talks about doing everything for God's glory. Performing to an audience of one.

17. Chronicles of Narnia, Books 1-3- Those three books made me cry so many times. It's very imaginative, and yet very capturing..it takes you to a whole new world.

18. Harry Potter Series- don't have to say a lot. I like J.K. Rowling's surprises, choice of words, and imagination.

19. The Giver by Lois Lowry- a very weird book. I do not understand why I read it. It's about a community alienated from the rest of the world; they separate the "fives", the "sevens" and all..delegate tasks to the children and there's this one who's chosen to receive all the memories of their people.

20. Bob Ong's A B N K K B S N P L AKO?- very entertaining.

21. Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas

22. Ang Alamat ng Gubat- captures our politics well.

23. MacArthur- reflection of our society..the poor specifically.

24. Stainless Longganisa- for journalists.

25. Dekada '70 by Lualhati Bautista- used this as a novel analysis for Hist114. The always controversial Marcos regime.

26. Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus (not sure with the spelling)- very childish at first glance but it's deep..implies a lot of things using very simple words.


27. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden- dramatic. I haven't watched the movie yet.

So there..a total of 36 books in three years. I might have missed out some but that's the most of it.

Reading reallly is one of life's greatest delight! It takes you places unknown and introduces you to all possibilities.

No comments: